Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day!!!


This is sadly the first year I've really celebrated Earth Day. I never appreciated the earth as much as I do this year. This whole vegetarian journey I'm on has opened me up to be more conscious of many things, and these things are all ways of living greener.

First, it has of course opened me up to what I'm eating... which has been a vegetarian diet, and to the best of my ability an organic diet. (Supposedly, eating vegetarian saves 90 animals a year!)

I have also been made aware that I should support my local farmer's markets, & local organic farms. (For explanations why just read my previous posts).

I am looking forward to also supporting restaurants that use local & organic foods, like Blue Hill at Stone Barns.

I have planted my own vegetable garden, which will supply me & my family with homegrown delicious herbs & veggies that I will be really proud to eat.

I should really wear organic cotton clothes.

I always bring my own reusable bags when I go shopping.

All of these things were never really apparent to me as being ways of living greener until this journey awakened me to it's importance. However, I have always been conscious to reduce, reuse, and recycle and have done so. By the way, here are some quick tips for living greener: Simple Mom: 40 Tips to Go Green at Home.


How I celebrated Earth Day today:

Today was a great Earth Day. Nina and I went to a local festival at Hungry Hollow Co-op Market in Chestnut Ridge, NY. It featured local farms and food, and had wonderful music from Tom Chapin! Nina loved his music. There were a bunch of children from a local school in attendance and they were all dancing and singing.
Nina enjoyed a grass-fed organic Burger, and I had a really wonderful organic Veggie Burger from the barbeque. The veggie burger I had was called Sunshine Burger. Of course I looked up their website, where I saw the ingredients of their burgers... WOW, you couldn't get much simpler! Sun-flower seeds, carrots, brown rice, and herbs... thats it! YUM!
I also got tons of reading materials on living and eating greener which I'm excited to read later. I'm sure I'll report back.

LIVE GREEN, EAT GREEN!!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment